GLL is a not for profit charitable social enterprise committed to delivering a better quality of fitness and leisure, libraries and performing arts facilities for everyone. We're committed to providing access to quality community facilities - and more - at a price everyone can afford. We already manage over 258 facilities, and we're adding more all the time operating under our 'Better' brand.
Unlike many other brands, we are for everyone. Community is at the heart of everything we do, and we want to make sure that everyone can live a healthy and active lifestyle.
What’s more, when you apply for a job at GLL, you can enjoy our range of employee benefits including:
● Pension schemes
● Discounted leisure centre and gym memberships
● Ride to work scheme
Your role will include:
● Understanding the services and products on offer to assist with customer questions and queries
● Supporting different types of customers with different needs
● Supporting the centre in gaining customer feedback on our products and services including dealing with customer complaints
● Support the centre to deliver swimming lessons where required (qualification dependant)
● Sharing knowledge with customers on the role exercise plays in health and wellbeing
● Conducting customers’ gym inductions and health screening where required (qualifications dependant)
● Planning and delivering exercise sessions to meet customers’ health and fitness goals
● Supporting GLL’s visions and values
● Attend and participate in all apprenticeship workshops, meetings and reviews with your tutor and General Manager
● Ensure all training and qualification deadlines are met in agreement with your tutor and manger
● Achieve and maintain all necessary qualifications including ongoing CPD training
● Keep up-to-date with trends and developments in the leisure industry
● Have an understanding of GLL and its position in the Health & Fitness Industry
● Understand the performance of the centre(s) that you are working in and the external and internal factors that can affect performance
Operations Performance and risk management
● Support the centre to open and close the building
● Supervising and lifeguarding customers in swimming pools
● Setting up and taking down different types of equipment for activities such as badminton, exercise classes and 5-a-side football
● Cleaning and maintenance of different areas of the centre
Personal Effectiveness and Development
● Demonstrates and lives GLL People with Purpose values
● Personally demonstrates equality, inclusion and diversity in their behaviours and actions
You will be enrolled on a Leisure Team Member apprenticeship programme which takes approximately 18months to complete as well as completing the following qualifications throughout the length of your apprenticeship:
● National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
● First Aid at Work (Level 3)
● STA Award in Teaching Swimming
● STA Certificate in Teaching Swimming
● Level 2 Gym Instructor
You’ll receive day to day training at the swim centre and a blended social learning experience for your qualification. This will be delivered on a 121 basis in your workplace by one of our expert trainers every 4-6 weeks via face-to-face visits or remotely over telephone or Zoom.
The apprenticeship is a structured, learner and employer focused development programme designed to create opportunities for lifelong knowledge, skills, and behaviours.
You’ll be assigned an Apprenticeship Mentor who will support you alongside your Manager and Assessor throughout your training and in the run up to your End Point Assessment.
They will coach you from your first day and facilitate your 20% off job training as well as support you with your practical and online assessments.
Be a competent swimmer & be able to successfully complete a swim test consisting of: -Swimming 50m in less than 60 seconds -Swimming 100m on your front and back -Tread water for 30 seconds -Surface dive to the floor of the pool -Jump or dive into deep water -Climb out of the unaided without steps where design permits Have the confidence and ability to engage with customers in a friendly and professional manner
Friendly, Helpful and able to speak to people in a professional manner
A keen interest in Health & Fitness as well as being a regular gym user would be useful
Knowledge/ Experience of sports coaching
Self Motivated and able to work to deadlines
None are required for this role
GLL prides itself on its internal Learning & Development and internal promotion levels, there is scope for the right candidates to move onto a Level 3 Leisure Duty Manager apprenticeship once they have completed their Level 2.
Training to be delivered
Functional skills in maths and English
Level 2 Leisure Team Member qualification
GLL - White Horse Leisure and Tennis CentreVisit employer website
The map below displays the employer’s location, please check travel times before applying.